Today’s theme is the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal. You see, I’ve been noticing increasingly recurring behaviour which appears to be based on the assumptions that
- if I can’t see them, then they can’t see me, and
- if they pretend I’m not there (I can’t hear you, la la la), then I can’t see them (even if I stand on a chair).
So, if fig367 omits his name from an email (which he writes and sends to me), and omits mentioning my name in that email (even if he leaves my name in as part of my message which he quotes in his reply), then he’ll be invisible to me?
Obviously, that logic is flawed, and is based on an erroneous interpretation of the facts. However, the following email is nonsensical unless that premise is taken into account.
(at which point it becomes sensical)
Subject: Re: Nimhneach
Date: 1 April 2009 19:12:59 IST
—–BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE—–
You are receiving this email as the Nimhneach response in regards
to attendance at our event.
All guests, who have not been previously informed otherwise, may
gain entry to the next event on meeting the appropriate dress code.
The guidelines for the club are on our website at http://www.nimhneach.ie
- From: Lubyanka
To: Fig, email@example.com
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 10:58:30 +0000
Since it appears that my previous mail may have gone astray, I will
Please confirm if the sanctions you have implemented against me
apply to Nimhneach.
Will I be welcome at Nimhneach in future?
Lady Lubyanka’s blogfestness
Food, Flogging, and Rubber Chickens
(celebrating the spleen)
featuring Irving as the rubber chicken
Any messages sent to me may be published on my blog.
—–BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE—–
Note: This signature can be verified at https://www.hushtools.com/verify
Version: Hush 3.0
—–END PGP SIGNATURE—–
Is anybody in any doubt whatsoever that this message was written and sent by fig367? Ok, let’s go through this derangement step by step, shall we?
- fig367 is the only one I know who uses hushmail.
- fig367 is the only one I know who uses the hushmail PGP encryption for messages they send to me.
- fig367 cannot even address me by name, even though his message is addressed to me and quotes my message in the body of his response.
- fig367 for some reason feels compelled to sign his message with a different name again, in the style of sock puppets everywhere.
(“Nimhneach”?! Since when can an event write an email?!)
- Who told fig367 that like the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast Of Traal – if he won’t see me, then I can’t see him? Good luck with that.
- fig367 abdicates all responsibility for saying anything specific – everything he says is a general plural, and he also shies away from specifying who or what:
- “You [whom?] are receiving this email [written and sent by whom?] as the Nimhneach response [who is ‘Nimhneach’?] [response to what?] in regards to attendance [whose attendance?] at our [who is ‘our’?] event. All guests [oh, not me, just anybody, even though this message was composed and sent directly to me], who have not been previously informed otherwise [informed of what?] [informed by whom?], may gain entry [allowed entry by whom?] to the next event on meeting the appropriate dress code [who is meeting the appropriate dress code?]. The guidelines for the club are on our website at http://www.nimhneach.ie“
- he wasn’t writing specifically to me (despite quoting my message in his reply sent directly to me)
- he didn’t know perfectly well who I am
- he didn’t know perfectly well that I know him (no matter how much he’d rather I didn’t know him and his sock puppets)
- he didn’t know perfectly well that I have been to Nimhneach many times
- he didn’t know perfectly well that I have always respected the Nimhneach rules and dress code without exception
- rules are so meaningful to him that he would never even think of transgressing any himself (unless you count banning me from bdsmireland, which was in direct transgression of those rules)
My original question was if I was welcome at Nimhneach. All that was required was a “yes” or a “no”. Mostly what I got was controlling crap directing me to and from email addresses – use this (which I had done) and don’t use that (oh well, sue me). And then I tried again, and valpone_a (under the direction of fig367) moved the goalposts.
Actually, there was no need for fig367 to even write to me at all. I informed fig367 that I plan to attend Nimhneach in future, that I expect him to welcome me there, and that his complete agreement with this would be understood unless he chose to write to me to express otherwise.
- And fig367‘s message did express agreement with what I originally said.
So why write me that bizarre message, declining to address me by name (despite quoting my original message in his response), declining to sign his own name (despite his fig367 identity being perfectly obvious), declining to take any personal responsibility for anything he wrote in his message (sock puppet style), and pretending to be the personification of Nimhneach (which is an event, not a person)? Is there a psychiatrist in the house?!
Still, I did get an answer in the end, which is the main thing. I now know that I am welcome at Nimhneach.
- Now all that’s left to do for the bdsmireland moderators including fig367 – remove your ban against me in bdsmireland.
Respect your own rules. Lift the ban.
I’m glad that’s all cleared up.